Becoming a professional photographer was not something I chose. Photography more or less chose me.
• Ethan grew up near Point Pelee National Park in southern Ontario. His mom let him skip
school to watch birds.
• Completed a degree in Environmental Studies at Trent University when he wasn’t birding,
photographing or drinking (often at the same time).
• Was given a hand-me-down camera for his 19th birthday and became addicted to bird
• Built a career as a nature guide and tourism specialist in national parks.
• Taught himself photography and began as a pro about 15 years ago.
• Has been published by National Geographic, Canadian Geographic, Ranger Rick, Lonely
Planet, Forbes, Popular Photography and many more.
• Writes the humour column and bird photography column in each issue of Outdoor
Photography Canada magazine.
• Ethan lives on Georgian Bay near Awenda Provincial Park. When he’s not exploring Ontario,
he loves to travel to places with high biodiversity and natural scenery.
• Has been known to sustain himself on Oreos, red wine and chicken wings for weeks.
• Follow Ethan’s adventures on Facebook, Twitter or his blog.
Facebook: Ethan Meleg Outdoor Photography
Confessions of a Crazed Photographer
As an outdoor photographer, Ethan Meleg has crawled through mud, kayaked deep into swamps, endured -30 degree temperatures and hiked for miles in total darkness (often with 40 pounds of camera gear on his back) to capture spectacular photos of nature. In this presentation, Ethan shares his insight into the inspiration, passion and knowledge that drives great nature photography. Illustrated by his favourite photos and stories, this light-hearted and humorous presentation is sure to entertain and inspire! NOTE: This is Ethan’s most popular show – great for all audiences!
Just Winging It
Bird photography is downright difficult, but amazingly fun and rewarding! Ethan started watching birds when he was a kid growing near Point Pelee National Park and used to skip school during migration. He’s been a bird nerd all of his life and began photographing birds over twenty years ago. In this presentation, Ethan will cover the basics of bird photography, with tips, techniques and funny stories from his adventures photographing birds.